All the way from Sierra County, I tagged myself for this meme cuz it momentarily dissolved my self-imposed grinchiness. You can do it too. Or not. Whatever. It’s the holidays. No pressure.
1. Wrapping paper or gift bags? I like to use old newspaper or cut up brown paper bags.
2. Real or artificial tree? I used to get only real trees. Then I got sideways with Xmas altogether and stopped having a tree. Then I found a small one in the bathroom cabinet when we bought the house – the old lady left it – must have been a sign – we use it every year now.
3. When do you put up the tree? Not until after Abby’s birthday which is on the 15th.
4. When do you take the tree down? The day after Xmas or at least before New Years.
5. Do you like eggnog? No, but Kandis does, so I keep it.
6. Favorite gift received as a child? I got a sewing machine when I was 12 – that was the best!
7. Do you have a nativity scene? Nope.
8. Hardest person to buy for? Mother, because nothing seems adequate to express her value to me.
9. Easiest person to buy for? Kandis – she is all about the Amazon Wish List.
10. Worst Christmas gift you ever received? Must have been the one I forgot.
11. Mail or email Christmas cards? Yeah, right!
12. Favorite Christmas Movie? "Scrooged" and "It’s a Wonderful LIfe""
13. When do you start shopping for Christmas? After Thanksgiving.
14. Have you ever recycled a Christmas present? Don’t think so.
15. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas? My sugar cookies and fudge with no nuts. mmmm
16. Clear lights or colored on the tree?. whatever – they all look good.
17. Favorite Christmas song? "Do you hear what I hear?" and :silent night"
18. Travel at Christmas or stay home? Home sweet Home
19. Can you name all of Santa’s reindeer?! Probably not, but I can name all the 7 dwarves.
20. Angel on the tree top or a star? Ugly pearl beaded tree topper made by ex-grandmother-in-law. It’s unique.
21. Open the presents Christmas Eve or Christmas morning? Xmas morning, after Santa has had a chance to stop by.
22. Most annoying thing about this time of year? Commercials and the marketing of products to children. it’s just wrong and not what the season is about. damnit
23. Do you decorate your tree in any specific theme or color? No, we take down the box of tree junk and stick it on the tree.
24. What do/did you leave for Santa? my sugar cookies and fudge with no nuts. duh. And Santa like Diet Dr. Pepper thank you.
Well, that was fun. kinda like taking a survey of your very own memory lane. Okay, for real, I don’t like the gift thing. It has gotten less important ever year – ‘cept for the children. I love the Xmas cooking and baking. And the music is okay – though there are some really annoying songs. I don’t like to decorate, but I like to see what others have done. It used to be a huge deal in Dallas to drive certain parts of town to see how the obscenely rich had their yards decorated, but I think it’s cooler to see to what extent that a working class family will go to in theirs. It means they are invested in their neighborhoods and with the housing market the way it is, that is a reassuring sign.
I used to make myself crazy buying presents. Then after I started knitting more regular, I made myself crazy making gifts. I just can’t afford either one anymore – so I hope they like the cookies, fudge and the not-so-crazy-Julia/mom/grandma this year.